Volunteer Center of Burlington County
14th Annual MLK Day Challenge
Monday, January 20, 2020
Burlington County residents of all ages are invited to stop by the Burlington County Library (BCL) - Main Branch – 5 Pioneer Blvd., Westampton, NJ between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm to participate in the following service activities:
- Food Collection for the Oaks Integrated Food Pantry - Mount Holly serving Burlington County residents accepts food donations which include peanut butter and jelly, breakfast items such as oatmeal and cereal, kid friendly snacks such as granola bars, canned meat/fish, microwaveable foods such as Easy mac or Chef Boyardee, and canned fruits and vegetables.
- Animal Supplies Collection for Burlington County Animal Shelter:
Caring for our animals requires a lot of time, love, money, and supplies. Below is our “Wish List.” Donating the following items help us with the day-to-day care of our animals and support our operational needs. Thank You!
Frontline, canned dog food, HE laundry detergent, dry dog food, towels, blankets, sheets
dog treats , pillow cases, wash rags, dog toys (especially plastic/rubber), antibacterial hand soap/hand sanitizer, canned cat food , paper towels dry cat food, brooms, scrub bushes, cat toys (plastic), fabric softener sheets , cat litter (non-clumping), bleach and plug in room freshener
- Operation Yellow Ribbon of South Jersey Collection
Operation Yellow Ribbon supports United States Military Forces serving in the Middle East including Iraq, Afghanistan, as well as those supporting Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Inherent Resolve. Items requested and appreciated include:
Tasty Kakes, Protein/Energy Bars, Protein Powder, Girl Scout Cookies, 5 Hour Energy Drink Products, Mio Liquid Water Enhancer, Rice Crispy treats, Bagged tuna and chicken, chewing gum/hard candy,etc, Dry roasted peanuts/mixed nuts, Potato chips in cylinder or can, Dried fruit, Beef Jerky, Baby powder, Baby wipes, Visine or Saline eye drops, Chapstick, Crystal Light Drink Mix Individual Packets, Powdered drink mix (Gatorade, etc.), Puffs/Kleenex, Hand sanitizer, Puzzle or crossword books, Batteries (AA, AAA, C, D), Hand held electronic games: poker, bingo, etc., Foot powder, Sunscreen, Skittles, Swedish Fish ,Twizzlers, Breakfast Bars, Slim Jim's • Ground Coffee • Tea • Pumpkin Seeds
Specialty Items for Women include: Shampoo & Conditioner, Moisturizing Bath Soap, Ladies Deodorant, Body Lotion• Emery Boards, Small Hand Mirrors, Shower Sponges/Loofahs, Body Wash, Q-Tips, Ladies hygiene products
Note: All collected/donated Items to be dropped-off at the Burlington County Library Main Branch - Pioneer Blvd., Westampton, NJ - 10 am - 3 pm, Monday - January 20th, 2020
- Card Making - supplies provided by BCL - Greeting cards will be made for distribution to care facility residents in Burlington County. Stop by and make a card or two or... that will brighten a room - a day - for our more fragile neighbors.
- Pet Toy Making - supplies provide by Friends of Burlington County Animal Shelter (FOBCAS) - whose voluntees will be present to provide toy making quidance.
- Volunteer Opportunities Fair – Several organizations will be on hand to provided information regarding their respective volunteer opportunities
More to be announced in the coming weeks!
The purpose of the Challenge is to encourage Burlington County residents to join hundreds of thousands Americans across the country in remembering and memorializing Dr. King by participating in service projects in their communities. Together, we will honor King's legacy of tolerance, peace, and equality by meeting community needs and making the holiday a day of community service. Thereby making MLK Day - A Day On, Not a Day Off.
In recognition of that spirit, Congress in 1994 passed the King Holiday and Service Act. Since then, the Corporation for National and Community Service, in collaboration with the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change, has taken the lead in helping transform the King Holiday into a day of service to meet community needs. www.mlkday.org
If your group, business, place of worship or school is conducting a community service project in honor of Dr. King on or about MLK Day please notify the Volunteer Center - email@example.com.
For more information call: (856) 222-9311 x 1492 - email: firstname.lastname@example.org